By Yahya Gharagozlou,Parinaz Eleish,Clare Wolfowitz
The episodes of the unconventional ensue in a palace, a mosque, a village, a harem; a tearoom, a whorehouse, a jail. The characters trip via deserts and mountains, to ecu towns, or even to the battlefront with Iraq. In episodes of comedy and farce, in addition to romance and, eventually, tragedy, we get to understand those compelling characters, together with a number of unforgettable girls. all through runs a massive topic: the storyteller’s legal responsibility to inform his tales – the uncooked parts of history.
Read Online or Download 1001: Persiranian Stories of Love and Revenge PDF
Best middle eastern history books
This research examines the angle of Egyptian intellectuals in the direction of Islamic fundamentalism in Egypt. they suspect that to set up an Islamic nation could suggest a go back to the center a while and that Western values don't inevitably contradict Islam. How a ways can they impression Egypt's future?
Even though the Israeli country subscribes to the rules of administrative equity and equality for Jews and Arabs prior to the legislations, the truth seems to be very diverse. targeting Arab land loss within Israel right and the fight over improvement assets, this learn explores the interplay among Arab neighborhood experts, their Jewish friends, and the organisations of the nationwide govt in regard to constructing neighborhood and local business parts.
The complicated historical past of Lebanese Shi‘ites has frequently been portrayed as rooted in non secular and sectarian forces. The Abisaabs discover a extra nuanced account during which colonialism, the trendy nation, social classification, and provincial politics profoundly formed Shi‘i society. The authors hint the sociopolitical, monetary, and highbrow transformation of the Shi‘ites of Lebanon from 1920 in the course of the French colonial interval until eventually the overdue 20th century.
Within the Fourteenth variation of The center East, Ellen Lust brings vital new assurance to this accomplished, balanced, and fantastically researched textual content. In transparent prose, Lust and her notable members clarify the various advanced alterations occurring around the area. New to this version is a rustic profile bankruptcy on Sudan via Fareed Hassan.
- The History of al-Tabari Vol. 12: The Battle of al-Qadisiyyah and the Conquest of Syria and Palestine A.D. 635-637/A.H. 14-15 (SUNY series in Near Eastern Studies)
- Muhammed: Messenger of Peace and Tolerance
- Girls of Liberty: The Struggle for Suffrage in Mandatory Palestine (Brandeis Series on Gender, Culture, Religion, and Law & HBI Series on Jewish Women)
- Imperial Lineages and Legacies in the Eastern Mediterranean: Recording the Imprint of Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman Rule (Birmingham Byzantine and Ottoman Studies)
- Brothers at War: Israel and the Tragedy of the Altalena
- Time in Early Modern Islam
Extra resources for 1001: Persiranian Stories of Love and Revenge